Monday, January 4, 2010

About me

First, a little background info...

I work in the IT department for a company in the healthcare field. In late 1999 I changed careers to enter the booming IT industry. I thought that since I had some easy, basic community college programming classes and had created some Access databases for my old employer it would be easy to find a new job.

Well, it was. I was hired by a consulting firm as a beginning Access developer. I was lucky when the dot com bubble burst in the early 2000's as I worked for a solid, long term client. I survived numerous regime changes and kept studying, eventually receiving database certifications. I continue to try and improve my skills, and I'm proud of what I've learned, especially in the last few years.

Now I'm "the DBA", when in fact I'm actually nothing more than a junior DBA. I'm only allowed to perform daily DBA tasks like backups and job monitoring. There are other applications using other database servers and are taken case of by non-DBAs. Anytime I try to show why all database servers should be under a central control I'm called unprofessional. Every concern i raise is ignored until it's verified by someone else. I'm only brought in to look at other servers when they run into major trouble and I'm never consulted when the qenious hardware guys go out and spend boucou(?) bucks on unneeded software for untested solutions.

I'm hoping that this is the year that IT turns around and I can find a new position.

No comments:

Post a Comment